Model validation

• Rackey
  • Topic Author
More
14 Dec 2017 08:07 #5966 by Rackey
Model validation was created by Rackey
Hello,

I am modelling a solar industrial process heating system for Abu Dhabi. I would like you to help me in validating the model for my project. Also, I would like to know how to get the required land area for the system in SAM. I have attached my model with the data file for reference. Can you tell me more about 'stochastic' and 'parametric'? Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Mubarak

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Paul Gilman
More
15 Dec 2017 16:05 #5967 by Paul Gilman
Replied by Paul Gilman on topic Model validation
Dear Mubarak,

For information about the IPH models, please see this webinar:

sam.nrel.gov/node/74797

For stochastic and parametric analysis, please see these webinars:

sam.nrel.gov/node/69276

Best regards,
Paul.

• Rackey
  • Topic Author
More
07 Feb 2018 14:18 #5968 by Rackey
Replied by Rackey on topic Model validation
Dear Paul,

Thank you for your reply. I would like to ask some questions, hope you do not mind. In the IPH trough model, the field pressure drop is given. I am trying to get the outlet pressure of the HTF, how do I get this?

I am taking Field timestep-averaged outlet temperature as the outlet HTF temperature, is this correct?

Also, since SAM models transfer of HTF from the field to the thermal storage, is it possible to design the model such that some HTF enter to the tank while the rest enter a heat exchanger? Thanks in advance.

Kind Regards,

Mubarak

• Paul Gilman
More
20 Feb 2018 21:15 - 02 Jun 2020 21:29 #5969 by Paul Gilman
Dear Mubarak,

The trough model assumes that the HTF is incompressible, so it does not model the absolute pressure. One way to calculate an approximate value of the outlet pressure is to add the total pressure to the ambient pressure. The model uses the method described in Wagner 2011, available athttps://sam.nrel.gov/concentrating-solar-power/csp-publications, to size field piping for a rated pressure of 25 bar.

Yes, the "Field timestep-averaged outlet temperature" is the outlet HTF temperature.

Yes, the IPH trough model currently models thermal storage in this way.

Best regards,
Paul.
Last edit: 02 Jun 2020 21:29 by Paul Gilman.

• pacomunuera@gmail.com
More
02 Jun 2020 11:00 #8263 by pacomunuera@gmail.com
Replied by pacomunuera@gmail.com on topic Model validation
Dear Mr. Gilman,

I would like to know what is the difference between "Loop timestep-averaged inlet temperature | (C)" and "Field timestep-averaged inlet temperature | (C)" when working with IPH (no direct steam generation, but just a solar field that  heats HTF with no storage). Has it something to be with solar field piping thermal losses or  with recirulated mass flow? I have searched in SAM's help but I coudn't find any explanation.
BR,
Paco Munuera

• Paul Gilman
More
03 Jun 2020 21:07 - 04 Jun 2020 16:55 #8273 by Paul Gilman
Hi Paco,

"Loop” refers to the inlet/outlet of the receivers,which is connected to the header and runner piping.

“Field” refers to the inlet and outlet of the piping, so this is the temperature that interacts with TES and the power cycle.

Best regards,
Paul.
Last edit: 04 Jun 2020 16:55 by Paul Gilman.

Moderators: Paul Gilman