We will be performing a major infrastructure and web site ugprades on Friday, September 27th 8:00 am - 5:00 pm MST (UTC -7).

The website will be down during that time.

Concentrated Solar Power with multijunction cells

• jbauer
  • Topic Author
More
21 Mar 2016 21:53 #4178 by jbauer
Hello! Do you have a SAM case using concentrated PV and thermal with Frenel lenses and multijunction cells in flat panels installed on dual axis trackers? If not, is it possible to use any other existent case to get an approximate result?
Thanks indeed for your answer,

Jorge

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Stefan Troger
More
09 Apr 2016 10:08 #4179 by Stefan Troger
Replied by Stefan Troger on topic Concentrated Solar Power with multijunction cells
Hello!

I´m working on a similar project as jbauer mentioned and I also have a few questions to it.
My problem is that i want to enter specific module databases or electrical specifications from a triple junction cell.
Similar to the Specifications I can enter in detailed photovoltaic projects with CEC Performance Model with User Entered Specifications.
The main problem is that the maximum power (Pmp) doesn´t match with the specifications I got from the cell datasheet.

Is there a possibility to enter cell specifications from a datasheet in high concentrated photovoltaic projects?
Why is the maximum power (Pmp) in HCPV projects calculated by Irradiance, efficiency and losses and no electrical data are included?
Is it representative if I put my electrical data of the triple-junction cell in a detailed photovoltaic project?

BR Stefan

• pgilman
More
11 Apr 2016 21:00 #4180 by pgilman
Dear Jorge,

SAM does not have a model that combines thermal and photovoltaic collectors. I don't think there is a way to model the kind of system you describe.

Best regards,
Paul.

• pgilman
More
11 Apr 2016 21:06 #4181 by pgilman
Dear Stefan,

SAM's HCPV model is a relatively simple representation of the performance of a high-concentration photovoltaic collector.

SAM does not have an equivalent to the CEC performance model for flat-plate modules. The equation for the HCPV Pmp value is in the Help system, so you should be able to use that information to approximate the module you are trying to model.

The cell efficiency table is the only information the model has about the module's electrical performance.

Best regards,
Paul.

• nkabouche
More
31 Aug 2017 13:20 #4182 by nkabouche
Dear Paul,

I would like to use SAM to determine the net DC power that an HCPV system and a PV system could produce in a specified site. So, I have some question and assumption:
- Is the tracker in HCPV, by default, a 2-axis one?
- I presume that this HCPV is a point focus one, with Fresnel lenses;
- In the result of simulation: what is the difference or relation between Input radiation (kWh) and POA on cell (W/m2)?
- Does the value given, by default, to the module correspond to a real HCPV, if so what is it
- How can I use an existing HCPV data e.g. SOITEC CX-M500 CPV, especially the cell efficiency table

Best regards

• pgilman
More
31 Aug 2017 20:03 #4183 by pgilman
Hello,

1. Yes. SAM's HCPV model assumes that the tracker is 2-axis with no limits to the extent of its rotation.

2. The model makes no assumptions about the type of concentrator. You provide the concentration ratio with loss factors to describe its optical characteristics.

3. The input radiation is a value SAM reports for reference. It is not used to calculate the system's output. It is calculated as
Input Radiation = DNI (W/m2) * Module Area (m2) * Number of Modules per Tracker * Number of Trackers / 1000 (W/kWh)
. The POA on cell value is the irradiance incident on the cell adjusted by air mass modifier, soiling, shade derate, optical error and alignment error.

4. No. The default values are a starting point for your analysis, and are not based on a specific system.

5. To model a commercially-available collector in SAM, you will need data from an efficiency curve from the manufacturer or another source.

Best regards,
Paul.

Moderators: pgilman