We will be performing a major infrastructure and web site ugprades on Friday, September 27th 8:00 am - 5:00 pm MST (UTC -7).

The website will be down during that time.

PV Charge Battery before Offset Grid Option

• Tom.Harris
  • Topic Author
More
18 Oct 2015 13:15 #3829 by Tom.Harris
Would it be possible to provide an option to have the PV 1st charge the battery then offset grid load? Right now PV energy first is used to zero load covered by grid then anything left charges the battery. With the 75% rule for the 30% ITC (i.e. 75% of battery charge must come from solar to take 30% ITC on battery) it is better in my situation to charge the battery with solar during the day than charge from grid at night because my solar daytime kWh charges are the same as at night. Tom

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ndiorio
19 Oct 2015 16:47 #3830 by ndiorio
Replied by ndiorio on topic PV Charge Battery before Offset Grid Option
You are correct that the current default behavior is for the PV to first try and offset the electric load and then charge the battery, and that this goes counter to the 75% rule for the 30% ITC. I will consider how we can make the controller more flexible to be able to specify whether the priority destination for PV power is to the electric load or to charging the battery. I don't know when this additional functionality will be added however, as conducting more work on the battery in SAM is pending project guidance.

• Tom.Harris
  • Topic Author
More
22 Oct 2015 14:13 #3831 by Tom.Harris
Replied by Tom.Harris on topic PV Charge Battery before Offset Grid Option
Nicholas,
Thank for your attention to this opportunity. Tom

• ankush
More
21 Jan 2016 07:57 #3832 by ankush
Replied by ankush on topic PV Charge Battery before Offset Grid Option
Hello,

Is it possible to indicate when this feature (PV to Charge Battery before Offset Grid Option) can be added to the SAM ?

Regards

• ndiorio
22 Jan 2016 16:35 #3833 by ndiorio
Replied by ndiorio on topic PV Charge Battery before Offset Grid Option
Hi,

This feature will be present in the next released version of SAM, currently targeted for mid to late February.

Thanks,
Nick

• Neldje
More
04 Jul 2021 11:37 #9775 by Neldje
Replied by Neldje on topic PV Charge Battery before Offset Grid Option
Hello,

I see the feature mentioned on this thread, which provides the option to prioritise PV charging the load or the battery was available in the SAM Version 2017.9.5. I'm currently trying to prioritise the PV charging the battery first on the latest SAM version 2020.11.29. I'm however unable to do it.

Is this feature still available on the latest version? And would it be possible to provide some guidance on how I can achieve this in the latest version?

Regards

Moderators: pgilman