We will be performing a major infrastructure and web site ugprades on Friday, September 27th 8:00 am - 5:00 pm MST (UTC -7).

The website will be down during that time.

Negative Net Electric Output- Solarthermal and PVs Hybrid Plant

• elimorluq
  • Topic Author
More
13 Jan 2015 19:15 #2915 by elimorluq
Hi Paul,

I am trying to simulate the very new commercial solarthermal and photovoltaics hybrid solar plants. For the solarthermal part I am using a parabolic through model (PPA single owner). When I am configuring the solar thermal storage I set it in a way that the system only produce electricity by night and it stores thermal energy when there is daylight.

This results in a very little negative net electric output during the night period (when the system was suppossed to produce net energy) and positive results during day. That is, the system is doing exactly the opposite that it was suppossed to.

I guess SAM is programmed to generate electricity anytime there is sunlight. Is it possible to change this configuration?

THanks in advance.

Best regards,
EML

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pgilman
More
13 Jan 2015 21:34 #2916 by pgilman
Hello,
That's right. For CSP models with thermal energy storage, you cannot configure the dispatch control inputs on the Thermal Energy Storage page in such a way as to prevent the solar field from delivering heat to the power cycle. The dispatch control inputs determine the timing of energy from the storage system, but not from the solar field.
This description of the storage dispatch control inputs ( PDF 157 KB ) with examples might be helpful.
Best regards,

Paul.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: pgilman