PV/CSP hybrid plant

• christophpan
  • Topic Author
More
20 May 2015 10:56 #3361 by christophpan
PV/CSP hybrid plant was created by christophpan
Hi,

I would like to simulate a PV plant that generates electricity during sunshine hours while the CSP plant is only running in charging the storage to produce electricity when PV can't supply anymore in order to achieve a baseload power output if both power plants are controlled together.
For this purpose I would like to first simulate the PV plant by itself to know when there is a lack of supply where CSP can jump in. The question is, if and how I can simulate the CSP plant in SAM (or Matlab?) providing a load curve that it should follow? Is it possible to tell SAM the hourly power that the CSP plant should provide?

Thank you for your help!

regards,
Christoph Pan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pgilman
More
20 May 2015 16:08 #3362 by pgilman
Replied by pgilman on topic PV/CSP hybrid plant
Dear Christoph,

Thank you for the message.

It is not possible to control the timing of electricity delivery that precisely. SAM assumes that the CSP system delivers electricity to the grid as energy is available from the solar field and thermal energy storage system. If you model a system with storage, you can use the dispatch control inputs to determine how energy is dispatched from storage, but that won't give you the amount of control you need for your application.

Best regards,
Paul.

• christophpan
  • Topic Author
More
22 May 2015 15:05 #3363 by christophpan
Replied by christophpan on topic PV/CSP hybrid plant
Dear Paul,

thank you for the answer!
I was already thinking that it might not be possible, but could it somehow be implemented by modifying the weather file so that the load curve can be modeled?

kind regards,
Christoph Pan

• pgilman
More
22 May 2015 21:06 #3364 by pgilman
Dear Christoph,

That might be possible, but I'm not sure how you would do it. You might also try taking the hourly results from the SAM models and manipulating them outside of SAM.

Best regards,
Paul.

• KBBE4LIFE
More
01 Apr 2016 12:50 #3365 by KBBE4LIFE
Replied by KBBE4LIFE on topic PV/CSP hybrid plant
Hybrid SAM Sorry I missed out on the webseminar Paul but did you discuss the hybrid modelling at the meeeting yesterday in the new version PB -CSP with regards to solar field and thermal energy storage system (saltmolt /gass) both power plants are controlled together.

• pgilman
More
01 Apr 2016 19:55 #3366 by pgilman
KBBE4LIFE, I don't really understand your question. Could you please clarify?

Best regards,
Paul.

Moderators: pgilman