I've been trying to get Excel exchange to work but I'm running into the following issues:
1. My base data is in an excel 2013 macro-enabled spreadsheet ie *.xlsm, which is not recognised by the dialogue box. I can type in the full name, so I guess I can get around this point. Eventually (perhaps due to issues below, or perhaps because *.xlsm data files aren't supported - documentation?), I made it work by having a standard *.xlsx spreadsheet with values linked back to the *.xlsm spreadsheet. But this is bit of pain to manage data consistency; upon a change in the original input data, the *.xlsx needs to be opened & saved before the new data is available to SAM.
2. The documentation needs to be clearer regarding how to identify cells in a spreadsheet with multiple tabs. Even using the standard excel naming conventions for cells [eg '7. Cost database'!Q172], I couldn't get the exchange to work. It did work fine with named cells.
3. I am modelling a HCPV system, and specifically I'm using the excel data to update the cost information. I could not find a data exchange cost variable for Tracking.
4. Once I got the data exchange working, I found that it produced the correct results, but that the SAM Cost input page did not update to show the new values. IMHO this is highly confusing.