We will be performing a major infrastructure and web site ugprades on Friday, September 27th 8:00 am - 5:00 pm MST (UTC -7).

The website will be down during that time.

How to use SAM for Simulating Floating Solar PV

• DamaMwape
  • Topic Author
More
22 Jun 2021 03:10 #9738 by DamaMwape
Replied by DamaMwape on topic Floating vs Ground Solar PV
Thank you so much.
What about when simulating for FPV using SAM, NREL literature is saying we use a tilt angle of 11 degrees. The question is how did they arrive at this angle? Is it for any location anywhere in the world?
On the Financial Parameters, (Capital and Operating Cost) How do i take care of the cost of the Floating and Mooring system?
Thank you
Damaseck

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pgilman
More
23 Jun 2021 16:08 #9743 by pgilman
Replied by pgilman on topic Floating vs Ground Solar PV
Hi Damaseck,

One consideration for the choice of tilt angle is wind loads on the modules and supporting structure. I am not familiar with the floating PV literature, so don't know what was considered in choosing the value you mention.

SAM's financial models used the total installed cost, so it doesn't really matter how you assign costs to the various categories on the System Costs page. One option would be to assign those costs to the balance of system equipment category.

Best regards,
Paul.

• DamaMwape
  • Topic Author
More
04 Jul 2021 05:17 #9774 by DamaMwape
Replied by DamaMwape on topic Floating PV
Good morning Sir, please help me with 2 questions:
1. After running a simulation of a solar PV project, how do i determine how much GHG (Green House Gas) i would have saved?
2. For a 1 MW Floating Solar PV Plant, how do i determine the amount of water saved through evaporation?

Thanks

• pgilman
More
06 Jul 2021 23:31 #9786 by pgilman
Replied by pgilman on topic Floating PV
Hi Damaseck,

SAM does not calculate either of those values.

Best regards,
Paul.

• fcprinsloo
More
14 Aug 2021 05:32 #9932 by fcprinsloo
Replied by fcprinsloo on topic How to use SAM for Simulating Floating Solar PV
It may be possible to simulate Floating Solar PV in SAM if some of the parameters in SA could be modified, say in the configuration file or input parameter string.

Procedures for modifying some of the parameters for floating solar in PVlib or PVsyst are described herein:

Sustainability Assessment Framework and Methodology with Trans-disciplinary Numerical Simulation Model for Analytical Floatovoltaic Energy System Planning Assessments

www.researchgate.net/publication/353718769_Sustainability_Assessment_Framework_and_Methodology_with_Trans-disciplinary_Numerical_Simulation_Model_for_Analytical_Floatovoltaic_Energy_System_Planning_Assessments

• DamaMwape
  • Topic Author
More
24 Feb 2022 08:15 #10621 by DamaMwape
Replied by DamaMwape on topic Carbon Emissions
Good morning,
i still feel there should be a way for the determination of how much carbon emissions can be removed from the atmosphere by simulations in SAM

Moderators: pgilman