We will be performing a major infrastructure and web site ugprades on Friday, September 27th 8:00 am - 5:00 pm MST (UTC -7).

The website will be down during that time.

Doubt about the use of POA or DNI/GHI

• paoman
  • Topic Author
More
09 Apr 2021 13:49 #9441 by paoman
Dear, I did simulations with real POA data and it worked. Now I have to test another location where I have data from the DNI / GHI Solarimetric station. I have an NSRDB database from the same location. Which option is best for my use:

1 - Can I put the GHI data in the POA field and simulate it? Would that be correct? I'm simulating PV power plants with trackers. But, these data are horizontal. Will SAM adjust?
2 - Or, put the DNI/GHI/DHI and other data from that physical station into the NSRDB? So, I will not select the POA option.

I always use the NSRDB base of the site and replace the CSV data to have a CSV model as a reference.

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pgilman
More
09 Apr 2021 21:11 #9443 by pgilman
Replied by pgilman on topic Doubt about the use of POA or DNI/GHI
Hi Pão,

If you have measured GHI and DNI data, then you can put those in the GHI and DNI columns of your weather file. If you inserting your data into a file from the NSRDB (or any other source), you could rename the original GHI and DNI column headings so that SAM's weather file reader can correctly interpret the data. For example you could change the column heading "GHI" to "NSRDB GHI" so the reader will ignore that column.

Also, in SAM, on the Location and Resource page, be sure to change the Weather File Irradiance Data option under Albedo - Sky Diffuse Model - Irradiance Data (Advanced) to DNI and GHI.

Best regards,
Paul.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: pgilman