We will be performing a major infrastructure and web site ugprades on Friday, September 27th 8:00 am - 5:00 pm MST (UTC -7).

The website will be down during that time.

Parabolic trough for further heating geothermal water

• numand
  • Topic Author
More
17 Mar 2021 08:25 #9378 by numand
Hi,

I am trying to simulate an off-grid system which consists of a geothermal power plant and a parabolic trough. Parabolic through is going to be used to increase the temperature of geothermal water. Thermal oil is going to be used as heat exchange fluid and a thermal storage tank will be deployed. I want to compare this system with a scenario in which I use electricity for increasing the temperature of geothermal water. I want to choose best performance model for what I want to do. As far as I understand, only Parabolic Trough - Heat: LOCH Calculator performance model can serve me. Could you help me to determine which performance model is best for my use case?

Solar Water Heating -> Distributed -> Residential and Commercial Owner uses glycol or water as working and test fluid.
Parabolic Trough Physical and Emprical assume generating electricity by using turbine.

Thank you in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pgilman
More
17 Mar 2021 23:06 #9381 by pgilman
Hi Numan,

SAM is not designed to model this kind of system, but I think you are correct to use the Parabolic Trough - Heat model for this application.

Note that it models a constant heat sink power. You cannot define a heat sink power that varies with time.

Best regards,
Paul.

• numand
  • Topic Author
More
05 Apr 2021 08:24 #9424 by numand
@Paul,

Thank your for answering my question! If I am not being rude by asking this question, do you know any other software that can help me?

• pgilman
More
05 Apr 2021 21:51 #9425 by pgilman
Hi Numan,

I am not aware of such a model, but if anyone else is, please let us know!

Best regards,
Paul.

Moderators: pgilman