Water consumption

• Michael Smith
  • Topic Author
More
31 Aug 2019 22:41 #7636 by Michael Smith
Water consumption was created by Michael Smith
Hi,

(1) I am trying to understand how SAM calculates the annual water usage, which is reported under summary of the results (CSP physical trough). I am considering the sum of the hourly data for Cycle cooling water mass flow rate makeup (kg/hr) and dividing it by 8760 hours to get the annual estimate. But, the numbers do not match. I think I need to account for the mirror washing as well. Can you explain to me the logic SAM uses for this calculation?
(2) Many links in the SAM website including this discussion (05 Sep 2018 18:52 #6431) do not open (404 - Article not found), any reason why?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Paul Gilman
More
03 Sep 2019 21:42 #7649 by Paul Gilman
Replied by Paul Gilman on topic Water consumption
Hi Michael,

We migrated the SAM website to a new platform in early 2019 and managed to import the old forum content but were not able maintain links between topics, hence the broken links you found. If you send me links to posts that contain broken links, I should be able to manually fix them.

The physical trough's water use for cooling equations are described in the physical trough reference manual (Wagner, 2011) at the end of Section 3.3.3, see Equation 3.25.

sam.nrel.gov/concentrating-solar-power/csp-publications.html

Best regards,
Paul.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Paul Gilman