PV Modules and Inverters not in Database

• Paul Gilman
  • Topic Author
More
05 Oct 2015 17:51 - 06 Dec 2021 17:10 #3787 by Paul Gilman
PV Modules and Inverters not in Database was created by Paul Gilman
The module and inverter libraries for SAM's Detailed Photovoltaic Model come from data provided by the California Energy Commission (CEC). We create a new library from the CEC data each time we release a new version of SAM. Because the CEC data is updated more frequently than SAM releases, the SAM library is likely to be out of date compared to the CEC database.

If you are an equipment manufacturer and want information about adding inverters and modules to the CEC lists, see this CEC website .

If you are using SAM's detailed photovoltaic model for a photovoltaic system that uses a module or inverter that is not included in SAM's libraries, you can use the CEC Performance Model with User Entered Specifications or Inverter Datasheet options on the Module and Inverter input pages, respectively. Those options allow you to enter data from a manufacturer's data sheet. Behind the scenes, SAM generates the coefficients it needs to model the equipment.

Once you enter the specifications, you can use the Save and Load buttons at the bottom of the input page to save them to a text file to use with other SAM files or to share with your colleagues.

On the Module page, choose CEC Performance Model with User Entered Specifications:

On the Inverter page, choose Inverter Datasheet:
When you use these options, you are relying on data provided by the manufacturer. For equipment that is in SAM's libraries, you may find that the manufacturer data differs from the data in the library. That is because the libraries use data provided to the California Energy Commission that includes performance parameters provided by testing laboratories.

You can also import module and inverter data from PVsyst PAN and OND files. For instructions, see: sam.nrel.gov/forum/forum-general/3386

Best regards,
Paul.
Last edit: 06 Dec 2021 17:10 by Paul Gilman.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Yash Agarwala
More
15 Sep 2020 02:22 #8733 by Yash Agarwala
Replied by Yash Agarwala on topic PV Modules and Inverters not in Database
Hi Paul,

Is it not possible to incorporate a Hybrid Inverter with its input characteristics related to the battery side of things?

I am currently only able to input data for a standard inverter and not a hybrid inverter.

Kind Regards
 Yash.

• Paul Gilman
  • Topic Author
More
16 Sep 2020 23:12 #8749 by Paul Gilman
Replied by Paul Gilman on topic PV Modules and Inverters not in Database
Hi Yash,

SAM does not differentiate between different inverter capabilities, so for example, it is possible to model an inverter that only has one input as if it had multiple inputs.

For PV-battery systems with DC-connected batteries, SAM assumes the inverter can operate as a hybrid inverter (one that can be connected to both a PV array and battery) whether or not the physical inverter has those capabilities.

Best regard,
Paul.

• Ayesha
More
07 Apr 2021 14:06 #9434 by Ayesha
Replied by Ayesha on topic PV Modules and Inverters not in Database
Hi Paul

When using the Inverter Database and creating a simulation report, SAM crashes. I have tried this with multiple models. The report works for the other inverter options. How do I fix this?

Kind regards
Ayesha

• Paul Gilman
  • Topic Author
More
07 Apr 2021 15:17 #9435 by Paul Gilman
Replied by Paul Gilman on topic PV Modules and Inverters not in Database
Hi Ayesha,

I did some tests and was not able to replicate this. The PDF report generator should work with the Inverter Datasheet Model option:

Could you attach or send me a file that causes SAM to crash?

Best regards,
Paul.

• Ayesha
More
08 Apr 2021 12:47 #9438 by Ayesha
Replied by Ayesha on topic PV Modules and Inverters not in Database
Hi Paul

I have attached the file, it crashes when I try to save the PDF to a location. I think it has to do with the battery system too. The inverter database works individually, and the battery system works individually, however it crashes when used together. 
Attachments:

Moderators: Paul Gilman