We will be performing a major infrastructure and web site ugprades on Friday, September 27th 8:00 am - 5:00 pm MST (UTC -7).

The website will be down during that time.

How to POA irradiance for tilted surface

• vshyam1992
  • Topic Author
More
07 Nov 2017 18:28 #5825 by vshyam1992
Replied by vshyam1992 on topic How to POA irradiance for tilted surface
Hello Paul

Is SAM using DNI and GHI data from the weather file to calculate the POA irradiance which is " subarray 1 POA irradiance total nominal? just making sure?

Regards
Shyam

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pgilman
More
07 Nov 2017 21:55 #5826 by pgilman
Replied by pgilman on topic How to POA irradiance for tilted surface
Hi Shyam,

Yes. If your system has one subarray, then the POA irradiance at the surface of the array is the value SAM reports as "Subarray 1 POA irradiance total nominal."

Best regards,
Paul.

• vshyam1992
  • Topic Author
More
17 Nov 2017 15:37 #5827 by vshyam1992
HELLO PAUL,

I am using Subarray 1 POA irradiance total nominal for calculating tilted surface solar irradiance at angle- 45 and azimuth -180 degrees. I am using 1-subarray to calculate, but the results are very different from RETScreen compared SAM. I am using same parameters. I am getting a huge variation in the monthly and annual data as well. I don't know what I am doing wrong. Please suggest me

• pgilman
More
17 Nov 2017 20:51 #5828 by pgilman
Replied by pgilman on topic How to POA irradiance for tilted surface
Dear Shyam,

I am not familiar with the values that RETScreen reports. Be careful with the units and make sure you are comparing equivalent values. For example are you comparing total monthly values to average daily values by month?

Also, check the azimuth angle convention: For SAM 180 degrees is due south, regardless of the hemisphere. Some models use zero degrees as due south in the Northern hemisphere and due North in the Southern hemisphere.

Best regards,
Paul.

• vshyam1992
  • Topic Author
More
18 Nov 2017 18:34 #5829 by vshyam1992
HI PAUL,

In order to get the POA irradiance, do I have change any settings in Albedo- Sky Diffuse model- irradiance data( advanced). I am trying to get POA irradiance data from pyronometer and the reference cell, but I am getting an error here, It's not letting me simulate the results.

• vshyam1992
  • Topic Author
More
20 Nov 2017 17:03 #5830 by vshyam1992
Hi paul
I figured it out. Thank you

Moderators: pgilman